Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Layering a layout

Ramona here, one of the  CT girls for Mel.  I thought I would share a little tip that I use a lot to give depth to my layouts.  I think that it is really important, with digital layouts, to make the photos pop and seem as if they are coming right off the page.  In paper scrapping, it is easy to see the depth between a photo and the background paper, but not as easy with digital.  We need to give it that texture and depth!

To start, let me show you what it looks like when I just slide a photo on my background paper:
It's quite flat, isn't it?  Of course, a shadow would help, but if you add layers of paper, matting, frames, etc. you can really create some depth.

I usually start with any mats or frames that come in the kit to tuck under the photo, around the edges to give a little variety.  I also create squares, rectangles and circles and nudge them underneath.  This also gives me a chance to use many of the gorgeous papers that come in a kit.  So, I may end up with something like this:

Even though I'm not done with the layout, see how it already starts to help the photo pop?  From this point, I can now add all the elements and clusters I want.

Here is my final layout:

What are your favorite ways to layer and use papers and mats to help add pop to your layout?

For this layout, I used the darling kit, "Simply Irresistible" available at Scrapbook Bytes





No comments: